Real Presence (Special Edition) - What Does It Mean and Why Does It Matter?
This special edition of Real Presence is part of The Ave Maria Press Parish Book Program.
Many Catholics don’t believe that Jesus is really present in the Eucharist. Rather, they see the bread and wine of Holy Communion as mere symbols of Christ’s body and blood. Is that disbelief just a misunderstanding or is it a blatant rejection of one of the central beliefs of the faith?
In Real Presence, University of Notre Dame theologian Timothy P. O’Malley clears up the confusion and shows you how to learn to love God and neighbor through a deeper understanding of the doctrine of real presence.
A 2019 study by the Pew Research Center found that almost seventy percent of Catholics don’t believe that Jesus is really present in the Eucharist.
O’Malley offers a concise introduction to Catholic teaching on real presence and transubstantiation through a biblical, theological, and spiritual account of these doctrines from the early Church to today. He also explores how real presence enables us to see the vulnerability of human life and the dignity of all flesh and blood.
O’Malley leads you to a deeper understanding and renewed faith in Catholic teaching about transubstantiation and real presence by helping you learn
- how the doctrine of real presence is rooted in divine revelation and how the Church’s teaching regarding transubstantiation is spiritually fruitful for the believer today;
- how to make your own the doctrine of real presence by worshipping Christ in the Eucharist and therefore making a real assent to real presence;
- how the Eucharist, although not the exclusive presence of Christ in the Church’s liturgy and mission, is crucial in growing our capacity for recognizing those other presences; and
- the important relationship between Eucharistic communion and adoration.
This product is not returnable.
- Item No: 30011
- Pages: 160
- Trim size: 5 x 7 inches
- Author: Timothy P. O’Malley
- Author: McGrath Institute for Church Life
- Foreword by: John C. Cavadini
- Format: Paperback
- Publication date: January 6, 2023
- 1 Book
Serving the Catholic Community for Over 150 Years!
Ave Maria Press, established in 1865 by Rev. Edward Sorin, C.S.C., Ave Maria Press remains committed to its core mission in more than 150 years. It began as the third apostolate of Holy Cross in the US and published "The Ave Maria" magazine by Fr. Sorin with three goals in mind: to glorify Mary, highlight Catholic families, and present the best American Catholic writing.
Ave Maria thrived for over 100 years and became the most popular Catholic magazine in the country. Under the leadership of Rev. Daniel E. Hudson, C.S.C., the magazine grew and started publishing hardcover books. Holy Cross religious, including priests, brothers, and sisters, played essential roles in the magazine's operation. After the magazine ceased publication in 1970, Ave Maria Press focused on book publishing and has since published works by notable Catholic authors.
Now owned by the United States Province of the Congregation of Holy Cross, Ave Maria Press remains one of the oldest Catholic publishing houses, specializing in religion textbooks, ministry resources, and books on prayer and spirituality.